Modified recipe, but certainly not my creation.
This is Rio Chicken. You can find this recipe in a lot of places, but this is my slightly modified version. It’s low fat, low carb and its one of the only dishes that everyone in my house will eat. (Which anyone trying to eat keto in a household full of non-keto eaters will tell you, is difficult)
You will need:
- A standard slow cooker
- 2-3 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen is fine)
- 1/2 cup Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing (substitutions for a lower carb Italian dressing should be fine, but I like this one)
- 1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
- 3/4 TBSP Minced Garlic
- 1 TBSP Chili Powder
- 3/4 TBSP Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- A couple of shakes of Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Water
1) Mix together all of the liquids. Add all of the spices. Stir to combine.
2) Pour just enough of the liquid into the crockpot to coat the bottom.
3) Add the chicken. Like I said, one of the best things about slow cookers is that you can use frozen chicken breasts without thawing them.
4) Pour the rest of the liquid over the top of the chicken. Make sure to get all of it.
5) Cook for 8 hours on low if possible. If not 4-6 hours on high works. This wont dry out as long as the lid is on.
6) About an hour before its done, break the cardinal rule of crockpots - take the lid off. Shred the chicken with a couple of forks. at this point it should practically fall apart, but if not, just take it out, shred it with a large knife (scrape sideways, dont cut it longways)
7) Throw it all back in the pot and stir. Put the lid back on and let it cook for the rest of the hour. Seriously, this is the most important part, dont stop here just because it looks done. Let it simmer.
You should be able to get about 10 servings out of this easily.
1.5g Carbs (Net Carbs too, there’s 0g Fiber)
The best part is how versatile this is. Usually on the day I make this, I make a lot. Day one is always Tacos and Burritos. Hard shell with lettuce, cheese and pico de gallo is amazing (although not too keto). I usually have a low carb tortilla and make a burrito with a lot of Rio Chicken, Cheese and Spicy Ranch, which I’ll detail in a minute.
It’s also really good reheated and thrown on a salad with some olives. And the kids love it in quesadillas. I’ve even had it as a sandwich on a fresh Telera roll once and it was amazing.
The other thing that makes this a hit in my house is my half-assed, homemade Rio Dressing:
- 16 TBSP Sour Cream, full fat, no “light”
- 16 TBSP Mayonnaise, again, full fat, no “light”. Get that corn syrup bullshit out of here
- 4 TBSP Newman’s Own Ranch Dressing
- 4 tsp Valentina Mexican Hot Sauce (or more to your taste)
Mix and serve. Should be about 12-18 servings, which would about:
1g Carbs (Also Net Carbs)
So that’s it. Enjoy!